Production Manager, Analytical Chemistry
Company: Biobot Analytics, Inc.
Posted on: May 27, 2023
At Biobot Analytics, our mission is to transform wastewater
infrastructure into public health observatories. Inspired by the
potential of wastewater epidemiology, Biobot Analytics is the first
company in the world to commercialize data from sewage.
Headquartered in the Boston area, we aim to extend our wastewater
epidemiology platform across the globe with new capabilities and
data packages to offer.The Manager, Analytical Chemistry is a
leadership role on Biobot's analytical chemistry team, where your
primary responsibility will be to lead the bioanalytical chemistry
lab and team members to ensure that we deliver best-in-class
results for our customers. You will interact with the lab
operations, data, R&D, CX, and engineering teams to improve
quality and efficiency. You will ensure that the laboratory has the
capacity to accommodate Biobot's growth of our customer base and
our product offerings.Essential Duties and Responsibilities (What
you will be doing):
- Oversee Analytical Chemistry lab operations:
- Manage the daily work activities in the laboratory to ensure
adequate coverage to accommodate workload to ensure
turn-around-time goals are met.
- Monitor daily workflow in the lab, plan/ schedule for adequate
assay coverage, and troubleshoot/ escalate problems, as
- Develop mastery of all assays in product portfolio and maintain
quality and thoroughness to result in optimum TAT and
- Responsible for maintaining deep understanding of the process,
techniques, instrumentation and underlying scientific principles to
troubleshoot and optimize assays and instrumentation, as needed.
Provide technical troubleshooting and decision making.
- Assist with monitoring sample progression and respond to sample
status inquiries as needed
- Coordinate with cross-departmental teams to ensure data and
reporting quality control and continuity
- Maintain review of operations metrics.
- Participate in Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
development, implementation, quality control processes.
- Develop plan for physical space requirements, and capital
procurement, and expense budgets over multiple year/budget
- Implement and support EH&S standards and procedures and
hold team members accountable
- Collaborate with internal teams, vendors and others as needed
to resolve issues, maintain ongoing functionality and document
service, project management and repair work.
- Maintain vendor contracts and ensure scheduled/preventative
maintenance and/or qualification is completed in a timely manner
- Cultivate a high performing team:
- Responsible for supervising and performance managing a team of
up to 4 junior staff.
- Mentor junior staff in laboratory safety, use of equipment and
proper laboratory procedures.
- Provide guidance to direct reports and across functional groups
within the organization.
- Assist with the hiring of qualified, enthusiastic employees,
including technical and non-technical team members.
- Meet regularly with direct reports to provide coaching,
constructive feedback, and career development discussions
- Write and deliver performance reviews and build a positive team
- Continuous Improvement Initiatives:
- Engage in continuous process and service improvement.
- Evaluate new process improvements and make appropriate
recommendations based on thorough evaluation of technical, quality
and efficiency impact
- Write, collaborate, revise and review SOPs as needed to adjust
for process improvement initiatives and new assay releases.
- Lead the support of evaluation of new instrumentation,
analytical methods and lab procedures.
- Coordinates and oversees assay and equipment validations and
- Support implementation of laboratory automation to increase
- Support development of new assays; work with R&D to
develop, qualify, and transfer analytical methods as
- Lead investigations for failures during testing; perform
troubleshooting, process development or improvement activities.
- Other duties as assigned.Education and/or Work Experience
Requirements (What you need to succeed):
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant scientific field
- 5+ years of experience working in an analytical chemistry lab
with demonstrated success operating LC-MS instrumentation for trace
small molecule analysis / bioanalysis
- 3+ years of supervisory experience in an industrial or research
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiasm, independence and a willingness to learn in a
fast-paced, team environmentEducation and/or Work Experience
Bonuses (What will help you succeed):
- Experience overseeing complex high volume laboratory operations
would be helpful.
- Experience with both biology and chemistry lab processes and
requirements, including PCR and NGS a plus.
- Experience working with databases and/or Laboratory Information
Management Systems (LIMS) a plus.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety protocols.
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership or management capacity,
providing training, feedback, mentorship to junior staff
- Familiarity with high through-put platforms and common
laboratory equipment (pipettes, automated liquid handlers, etc.) a
- Experience driving complex projects in the face of
- Proficiency using Google Suite. Physical Requirements and
- Must be able to work while standing for extended periods of
- On occasion, lift and organize supplies up to 25
lbs.Compensation Information The estimated salary for this position
is $100,000 to $150,000 depending on prior work experience.This
range represents the low and high end of the anticipated base
salary range for this position. The actual base salary will depend
on numerous factors such as: total experience, applicable knowledge
and relevant skills. Final salary will be commensurate with the
candidate's leveling upon offer.Our BenefitsHEALTHFree medical,
dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families,
including a $0 deductible medical plan.We want our employees to
manage their health and that of their families without worrying
about high premiums or deductibles.SELF CAREUnlimited PTO with 3
week minimum.Whether it's playing MTG or D&D, singing on stage,
camping, raising chickens, or anything else that inspires, we want
our employees to unplug and explore their passions.BIOBABIES12
weeks parental leave at 100% pay.We love Biobabies and know that
bonding with a new child is a critical need for employees and
Biobabies alike.SAVINGS3% Biobot 401k contribution.Regardless of
whether our employees contribute, we contribute 3% of salaries into
participating employees' 401k accounts because we want to support
their long-term financial goals.WORKSPACE$500 home office
stipendfor remote employees;free parking + commuter benefits and
free mealsfor lab employees. Onsite or at home, we ensure our
employees' workspace is set up for success.About BiobotAt Biobot,
we are working together to build a team environment in which
everyone can thrive and is proud to belong. We are an equal
opportunity employer and our goal is to be a diverse team that is
representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We
encourage applications from candidates of all identities and
backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented
in technology startups.Our mission is to transform wastewater
infrastructure into public health observatories.Named as one of
Fast Company's most innovative companies in the world in 2021,
Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses
technology developed at MIT to measure biomarkers in sewage to
better understand population health in cities. We first launched an
opioid product to support government and public health officials in
responding to the opioid epidemic, and in 2020 launched a Covid19
product to estimate the scope and trend of the outbreak in
communities. We have operated in almost 500 communities across 43
U.S. states, generating Covid19 case estimates for over 13% of the
U.S. population.Battling the opioid epidemic and now the Covid19
pandemic is just the beginning - we're transforming sewage into a
data asset and building a public health database. Eventually,
Biobot data will be an early warning system for disease outbreaks,
a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the
Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of
human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across
all six continents.Please note that we are unable to sponsor work
visas at this time.
Keywords: Biobot Analytics, Inc., Cambridge , Production Manager, Analytical Chemistry, Professions , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...