Classified IT Systems Engineer
Company: Draper Labs
Posted on: May 21, 2023
Classified IT Systems Engineer
Draper is an independent, nonprofit research and development
company headquartered in Cambridge, MA. The 1,800 employees of
Draper tackle important national challenges with a promise of
delivering successful and usable solutions. From military defense
and space exploration to biomedical engineering, lives often depend
on the solutions we provide. Our multidisciplinary teams of
engineers and scientists work in a collaborative environment that
inspires the cross-fertilization of ideas necessary for true
innovation. For more information about Draper, visit
www.draper.com. Our work is very important to us, but so is our
life outside of work. Draper supports many programs to improve
work-life balance including workplace flexibility, employee clubs
ranging from photography to yoga, health and finance workshops, off
site social events and discounts to local museums and cultural
activities. If this specific job opportunity and the chance to work
at a nationally renowned R&D innovation company appeals to you,
apply now www.draper.com/careers. Equal Employment
OpportunityDraper is committed to creating a diverse environment
and is proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity
employer. We understand the value of diversity and its impact on a
high-performance culture. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
Draper is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and
reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in
employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request
reasonable accommodation, please contact email@example.com.
The Classified Systems Administrator is a key member in several
small to medium sized dynamic research and development environments
in which they support the day-to-day activities of users, perform
system maintenance, and upkeep of Information Technology. As well
as provide the development, documentation, and deployment of IT
Infrastructure and Operation. The Admin will have responsibilities
to support IT technology that will cover a wide array of
competencies such as data administration, knowledge management,
customer service, technical support, network services, system
administration and systems security analysis. Essential
- Installs, configures, troubleshoots,
and maintains server configurations (hardware and software) to
ensure their confidentiality, integrity, and availability. Also
manages accounts, firewalls, and patches. Responsible for
implementing access control, resetting passwords, account creation,
and general administration
- Responsible for day to day support and maintenance of IT
infrastructure systems (e.g. servers, workstations, switches,
routers, firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, encryption
- Maintain and update documentation, including standard operating
procedures, network drawings, and configuration documentation
- Conduct reviews and technical inspections to identify and
mitigate potential security weaknesses, and ensure security
compliance is implemented and all necessary systems are
- Provide resolutions to an assortment of customer defined
problems of moderately complex scope. Ask appropriate questions and
use knowledge and resources to diagnose and resolve basic technical
issues. Escalate issues that extend beyond Tier II level of support
as needed. Troubleshoots and solves problems without violating the
security architecture requirements of the systems they are assigned
- Other duties include but are not limited to system
troubleshooting, vendor coordination, software patching, system
deployment, license management, hardware and software management,
and lifecycle management.
- Work closely with the Information Assurance group to ensure
system accreditation process is followed including maintenance of
standard operating procedures, network drawings and configuration
- Coordinate with senior personnel and IT management of all risks
impacting IT related services including but not limited to: power
outages, environmental changes, natural disasters, employee
accident or deliberate acts, maintenance or third party vendor
- Provides guidance to and may oversee the activities more junior
- Develop and conduct tests of systems to evaluate compliance
with specifications and requirements by applying principles and
methods for cost-effective planning, evaluating, verifying, and
validating of technical, functional, and performance
characteristics (including interoperability) of systems or elements
of systems incorporating IT.
- Must possess and maintain an active US DoD Top Secret (TS/SCI)
security clearance and an Active CI Polygraph approved within past
- Security+ certification or higher professional certifications
in accordance with DoD 8570.01-M, IAT Level II and IAM Level I
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, or a related
field, and 3-4 years of relevant experience, or 3+ years of
experience without degree.
- Prior systems administration or networking administration and
experience with some, but not limited to, the following
technologies: LDAP, Active Directory, WSUS, VMware, Veeam (or
equivalent), Nessus, or Splunk.
- Knowledge of and some implementation experience with security
technologies and architecture, including encryption, network
security, firewall configuration, intrusion detection.
- Due to the nature of this work, this job requires on-site
presence in Cambridge, MA. Flexible hours and/or schedules will be
determined between the employee and hiring manger.
- Has implemented DoD Security Technical Implementation Guides on
at least one technology platform (i.e. Windows or Linux OS,
- Proficiency working with Windows operating systems, including
Windows 10, Windows Server 2016 Server, Windows Server 2019
- Ability to research technologies, errors, and products to
determine best path forward.
- Off-hour/on-call support as needed. A certain degree of
flexibility of schedule is required as some work planned/unplanned)
must be done outside of major production hours during pre-scheduled
maintenance windowsPreferred Qualifications:
- Excellent time management skills, and the ability to prioritize
- Ability to work efficiently and independently with minimal
supervision (i.e. self-motivated and willing to stretch to meet
- Vendor specific certifications from Cisco, VMware, Microsoft or
Dell are desired.
- Knowledge and understanding of one or more of the following
regulations: JAFAN 6/9, NISPOM, JSIG, CNSSI 1253, NIST, RMF, and
- Experience supporting engineers in software, simulations, and
- Ability to convey risks and propose mitigation strategies to
technical and business audiences.
- Strong leadership skills. Ability to work with and drive team
- Current in scope Top Secret security clearance with SCI and
Active CI Polygraph is required.
Connect With Draper for Future Opportunities!
If you don't find the right posting in our Career Opportunities,
you may submit your resume for future consideration.
Keywords: Draper Labs, Cambridge , Classified IT Systems Engineer, Other , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...