Direct Service Advocate - Cambridge Warming Center
Company: Bay Cove Human Services
Posted on: January 20, 2023
Direct Service Advocate - Cambridge Warming Center
Boston, MA, USA * Cambridge, MA, USA
Thursday, October 6, 2022
Mission Statement: Bay Cove Human Services partners with people to
overcome challenges and realize personal potential.
Shifts: The Cambridge Warming Center is open 7 days a week
including holidays from December 1 to May 1, with shifts from
5PM-1AM or 12AM-8AM and occasional day shifts depending on
inclement weather. Job Summary: The Direct Service Advocate (DSA)
in this role is responsible for creating a welcoming and safe
environment for homeless adults who are unsheltered. The goal of
the CWC is to offer lifesaving shelter to unsheltered homeless
adults throughout the winter months and tosupport safety and
engagement of people who are reticent to utilize emergency
shelters. The CWC offers a low threshold environment that is
predicated on harm reduction principles. The DSA in this role will
promote safety by offering respectful support and consistent
application of policies and procedures established for the safety
of each person served and all stakeholders of the CWC community.
This is a non-exempt position.Essential Functions of Position (may
include some or all of the following, based on modality):
- Facilitate access in a respectful, safe, and efficient manner
to get all guests into the Cambridge Warming Center.
- Respond to all requests and emergencies in a manner that
respectfully attends to the immediate concern.
- Intervenes with guests in a manner that de-escalates anxious,
pressured or overtly worrisome behaviors and safety concerns.
- Communicates with on-site co-workers in real time through use
of cell/push phone system in a manner that optimizes effective
communication of any concerns and delivery of the CWC. Contacts
on-call staff when necessary.
- Provide care for guests and maintain safety by visual
monitoring of all guests, conducting safety checks throughout the
space, actively and respectfully interacting with guests and the
team to ensure a routines and safety procedures are followed.
- Assists in set up and cleanup of all activities such as
intake/access, personal belongings storage, food & meal serving,
- Assists in all end of shift wrap up activities including
assisting with all clean-up of space, trash removal, and
arrangement of furniture and supplies to ensure readiness for the
Senior Center opening each morning
- Provides as needed monitoring of the area outside the program
(parking lot, line at front door of the CWC, and area that trash is
maintained) in order to optimize safety of guests, neighbors, and
essential health standards.
- Assists guests in urgent need to secure shower, clothing, and
- Participates in weekly staff meetings and supervisions.
- Works collaboratively with all community partners including
neighbors/abutters, Cambridge Police and other law enforcement
personnel, First Step Outreach Van staff, Cambridge Health Alliance
staff, First Step Homeless Outreach Team members, Emergency Medical
Services (EMS) and other first responders, in a respectful and
- Administers Narcan as needed to mitigate opiate overdose and
- Follows plans and restrictions established by CWC leadership
and team members.
- Follows all ServSafe practices to optimize the health and
wellness of all guests.
- Adheres to universal precautions in all activities.
- Recognizes that the majority of guests have endured trauma and
employs trauma informed care in all interactions.
- Respond immediately to all medical and behavioral health
emergencies appropriately (such as administering first aid, CPR,
calling EMS/BEST, or first responders to address and resolve the
- Maintains confidentiality of all guests and their circumstances
except for those team members, collateral partners, and emergency
first responders with a designated need to know.
- Other duties as assigned by Program Director or his/her
designee. Requirements for the position:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Knowledge of modality specific issues, such as substance use,
serious mental illness, and homelessness.Certificates, Licenses,
- CPR/First Aid Training
- Must stay current with any modality required training,
including HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C, Narcan, ServSafe, PREVENT,
Harassment, etc.Other Qualifications:
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to follow and consistently implement policies and
procedures of the program.
- Be able to work independently.
- Ability to perform assigned duties in a manner that promotes
the dignity of each person served and optimizes safety for the CWC
- Able to accept supervision and be part of a team.
- Ability to work in an effective and calm manner with people who
are under significant personal stress.
- Ability to respond physically to needs of the guests and all
- A COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the position. One
COVID-19 shot is acceptable, contingent on the individual receiving
the second shot within the allotted time frame.Physical
Requirements:(The Physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform essential functions.)The employee may
regularly be required to sit, stand, use hands, talk, hear, reach
with arms, walk, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl
or run. The employee may regularly be required to move, by pushing,
pulling or lifting up to 25 pounds.The employee must present calmly
in pressured and crisis situations and be able to exercise sound
judgment, and establish safe boundaries in order to effectively
address guest concerns and/or respond to emergencies as they
arise.Work Environment:While performing the duties of this job the
employee will be exposed to active substance use, as well as to
guests that bring traumatic personal histories and vulnerability.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Guest
regularly present with long histories of trauma and complex
physical and behavioral health disorders. Given the persistent
stresses experienced by guests, these men and women can sometimes
present with uncertain, unpredictable, and potentially unsafe
- Boston, MA, USA
- Cambridge, MA, USA
Share this job:
Keywords: Bay Cove Human Services, Cambridge , Direct Service Advocate - Cambridge Warming Center, Other , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!