Scientist 1/2 - Protein Biochemistry
Company: Affinivax Inc.
Posted on: November 23, 2022
Affinivax is a Cambridge-based clinical-stage biotechnology company
with a novel, next-generation approach to the development of
vaccines and immunotherapies targeting infectious and other
immune-mediated diseases. This novel and highly efficient vaccine
technology - called Multiple Antigen Presenting System (MAPS) -
enables the high-affinity binding of protective polysaccharides as
well as proteins in a single vaccine, uniquely inducing a broad and
protective B-cell and T-cell immune response.
Our vision is to take a major step forward in vaccine innovation to
prevent and combat a wide range of infectious and other
immune-mediated diseases, protecting infants and adults in our
communities and making a meaningful impact on global public health.
Affinivax is focused on developing vaccines for the most
challenging bacterial infections, with a goal of improving upon
existing vaccines and providing solutions for where there are no
vaccines or prevention strategies available today.
GSK-Affinivax is currently seeking a highly motivated scientist
with expertise in protein expression, purification, and analytical
characterization techniques to join our protein science team. The
protein science team at GSK-Affinivax is responsible for generating
high quality protein antigens from different bacterial and viral
pathogens to support our vaccine development programs. The
scientist will work closely with the members from immunology and
molecular biology groups in a collaborative environment providing
ample opportunity to learn and grow within the cross functional
You will have the opportunity to---
- Design and propose recombinant protein expression constructs
based on available structural or homology modeling data.
- Develop and optimize purification protocols for different
recombinant proteins (with and without affinity tags) using various
chromatographic methods (Affinity, IEX, HIC).
- Characterize purity and homogeneity of the purified proteins
using various analytical and biophysical tools e.g. analytical SEC,
SEC-MALS, DLS, DSF etc.
- Independently troubleshoot challenges and come up with novel
- Author, review, and approve SOPs, study protocols, reports, and
other scientific and quality documents.
- Present scientific data to colleagues in group meetings and
prepare and present internal and external presentations.
- Present progress updates to senior management.
Who you are and what you bring to the team---
- Ph.D. (Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Structural biology or
related discipline) with 1+ years of post-graduate experience, MS
or BS degree in Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or process
science with 5+ years of work experience in optimizing protein
purification protocol and scale up.
- Extensive hands-on working experience with recombinant protein
expression and purification is needed.
- Prior experience of working in a pharmaceutical industry and
purification process development is preferred.
- Experience in other bio-physical binding assay development
methods, such as SPR, MST, FP is a plus.
- Strong ability to multi-task and willingness to work
effectively in a highly collaborative and diverse environment as a
team player with a strong work ethic.
- Able to maintain written records in the form of laboratory
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation
- Medical and Dental plans (BCBS), employer-paid at 85%
- Vision Insurance, employer-paid at 100%
- Life Insurance, Short- and Long-Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts/Health Savings Accounts
- Wellness Benefits
- 401(k) Plan with a 4% match
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Generous PTO package
- 11 paid holidays, plus Holiday Shutdown
- Pet Insurance
- Subsidized Parking
- Commuter Reimbursement Program
- Brand new facility in Kendall Square
In accordance with Affinivax's duty to provide and maintain a safe
workplace that is free of known hazards, we have adopted a COVID-19
vaccine policy to protect the health of our employees and their
families, our visitors, and the community at large from COVID-19.
This policy requires all employees, contractors, and temporary
workers, to (1) obtain an approved vaccination and provide proof of
vaccination or (2) request an accommodation for a medical or
religious exemption. Our policy is based on guidance from the
Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention.
Affinivax is committed to providing equal employment opportunities
to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, status as a veteran or as a
member of the military or status in any group protected by
applicable federal or state laws.
All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any
employee at Affinivax via email, the internet, or in any form
and/or method will be deemed the sole property of Affinivax, unless
such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by Affinivax for
this position and a valid agreement with Affinivax is in place. In
the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the Affinivax
agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind
will be paid.
Keywords: Affinivax Inc., Cambridge , Scientist 1/2 - Protein Biochemistry, Other , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!