Accessioning Technician I (Tuesday-Saturday 9:00am-5:30pm)
Company: Foundation Medicine
Posted on: June 12, 2021
About the Job
The Accessioning Technician I performs critical sample receipt
and data entry functions in FMI's CLIA-certified clinical
laboratory. Specifically, the Accessioning Technician receives all
incoming samples and ensures that necessary information has been
received to move forward with processing. The Accessioning
Technician is assigned to one of three shifts and may be assigned
to work any day that the lab is operational.
This is a regulated position and additional information may be
available from FMI Quality Assurance regarding regulatory
Regular onsite work at a designated FMI location is an essential
function of this role.
- Specimen Acceptance:
- Receive and record delivery of patient samples.
- Unpack and verify contents and condition of received
- Sign off on all received specimens; ensure logs match specimens
- Time stamp specimens.
- Immediately addresses issues if specimens do not match
- Specimen Accessioning
- Perform data entry into the FMI Laboratory Information
Management System (LIMS), including assigning specific
computer-generated identification numbers to each sample.
- Route samples into the appropriate workflow and ensure
downstream staff is alerted to sample availability.
- Maintain required documentation, including proper specimen
handling, labeling, and preparation of worksheets.
- Maintain specimen identification and integrity throughout all
- Dispose and label biohazard waste appropriately.
- Perform a Quality Control check of all assigned cases.
- Ensure regulatory compliance by following local, business unit,
and corporate safety policies.
- Participate in biohazard, chemical, radiation safety, and other
- Identify and inform supervisor of any issues that need to be
- Assist with accessioning schedule changes if requested by a
supervisor, including occasional weekend or off-hours work
- Work in a lab environment using chemicals and regents.
- Collaborate with other departments and colleagues for problem
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree
- Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree
- Prior experience working in an accessioning department in CLIA
laboratory or other clinical diagnostics setting
- Prior professional experience with accessioning and/or anatomic
- Prior use of laboratory information management systems
- Knowledge of medical terminology, specifically anatomic
pathology specimen descriptions.
- Excellent computer/data entry skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail and strong organizational
- Demonstrated experience handling multiple tasks at once
- Ability to work independently as well as collaborate with peers
in a fast-paced and cross-functional results-oriented team
- Demonstrated experience working within tight timelines for
successful execution of project and program goals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a
- Ability to prioritize and thoroughly follow up on assigned
- Ability to adapt to changing procedures, policies and work
- Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient
- Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration,
Keywords: Foundation Medicine, Cambridge , Accessioning Technician I (Tuesday-Saturday 9:00am-5:30pm), Other , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!