Preform Process Technician
Company: Advanced Functional Fabrics of America
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Advanced Functional Fabrics of America, Inc. (AFFOA) is a
non-profit, public-private partnership founded in 2016 as one of
the Department of Defense (DoD) funded Manufacturing USA Innovation
Institutes. Headquartered in Cambridge, MA, AFFOAs mission is to
rekindle the textiles industry by leading a nationwide enterprise
for advanced fiber & fabric technology and manufacturing
innovation, enabling revolutionary new system capabilities for
commercial and defense applications.
AFFOA is dedicated to accelerating the pace of innovation in
advanced textiles through R&D, transitioning and integrating
fiber and fabric technologies into products with dual-use
applications. The Institute is uniquely positioned to establish and
build supply chains to rapidly prototype for DoD and commercial
needs and also focuses on preparing and building the workforce of
the future that can support these new manufacturing needs. AFFOA
partners with its member companies including startups,
universities, manufacturers, commercial industry and defense
partners to bring advanced fiber technologies to market.
The Preform Process Technician role provides preform
manufacturing of polymer-based fibers according to SOPs. The
technician is responsible for the setup, operation and cleaning of
various types of equipment both inside and outside of a cleanroom.
This position provides work and developmental support for the
operations department of the Institute for developing advanced
functional fibers and fabrics.
The requirements listed below are representative of the
essential duties required of the Preform Process Technician:
- Responsible for equipment setup and operation in a fiber
- Complete mastery of the preform manufacturing process according
to released procedures
- Responsible for facility and equipment cleaning
- Process expert in one or more processes (draw and deposition
main areas of focus)
- Maintain lab equipment in accordance with released
- Strict adherence to procedures and practices according to
- Strong emphasis on documentation according to SOPs
- Perform manufacturing processes in support of Institute
- Must be able to work collaboratively with R&D and Process
Engineers on identifying areas to improve yield and overall
- Participate with team in Kaizen initiatives to improve
processes and systems.
- Practice lean manufacturing methodology.
- Develop TWI documentation and train personal on processes.
- Additional manufacturing and R&D responsibilities as
- Associates Degree in an engineering discipline or HS Diploma
with 5+ years of related experience required.
- Experience with Computer software, MS Office (excel, PP, word)
and/or Google Suite required
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Must be proactive, results driven and have strong attention to
- Self-starter with strong work ethic with the ability to
exercise good judgement
- Familiar with clean room equipment, such as computers,
multimeters, particle counters, wrapping machines, etc.
- Experience working & maintaining a clean-room environment
- Experience with hazardous materials required including use of
proper PPE, understanding of SDS sheets, general best practices and
- Must have good manual dexterity to work with small and
sensitive tools while positioning a prototype.
- Semi-conductor experience is a plus
- Vacuum deposition experience is a plus
- Optical/Draw Tower experience is a plus
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those of a Preform
Process Technician encounters while performing the essential
functions of this job.
- Work requires occasional physical exertion including some
lifting of objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Repetitious tasks/responsibilities
Mental & Visual Demands
- Computer and lab equipment along with repetitious tasks
Work Environment and Hazards
- Various machinery with pinch points, hot surfaces, moving
- Lab setting with chemicals.
Keywords: Advanced Functional Fabrics of America, Cambridge , Preform Process Technician, Other , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!