Director, Business Development - Biosimilars
Company: Biogen Idec
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Company DescriptionJob Description
About This Role
Our Business Development team supports the overall strategy by
targeting and evaluating external growth opportunities for Biogen.
The Director supports the assessment of growth opportunities,
partners with evaluation and diligence teams, and negotiates
transactions. This is a high impact role working across many large
Biogen Biosimilars Unit (BBU) is committed to commercialization
in several biologic categories and product launches. With our first
FDA application under current review with the FDA, we are a team
committed to advancing care for patients needing life changing
therapies. As recent industry reports suggest, Biosimilar products
in US healthcare have an opportunity to exceed $100 billion USD of
savings during the next five years - Biogen is committed to be at
the forefront of this opportunity for patients and the US
The Director, Business Development-Biosimilars will have
responsibility for evaluating external growth opportunities for BBU
and, where appropriate, executing transactions to access the assets
of interest. This individual will report to the VP, Business
What You'll Do
- Consider broad corporate priorities and participate in strategy
planning for financial investment trade-off decisions required for
- Participate in one or more cross functional committees
responsible for the initial triaging of externally generated
licensing and/or collaboration opportunities.
- Lead negotiations in business transactions.
- Work effectively with legal, finance and scientific teams and
make business development proposals to senior management.
- Help Lead evaluations of all aspects of therapeutic drug
programs from pre-clinical through clinical stages across the
relevant assessment areas: proposed clinical benefit, mechanism,
pre-clinical data, manufacturing, regulatory strategy, clinical
development path, intellectual property and commercial
- 7+ years in Biotechnology/pharmaceutical required.
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport with therapeutic and
functional area leaders.
- Strong analytical skills required to provide sound inputs into
- Ability to identify and prioritize risks across functional
areas, weigh those appropriately with benefits of investment, and
effectively frame business decisions for senior management.
- Strong communication and leadership skills necessary to
effectively lead diligence teams and navigate the Biogen corporate
structure, i.e., possessing organizational savvy.
- Ability to "think on your feet" both during negotiations with
third parties and during internal discussions of risks and
- Strong presentation skills.
- Deal sheet submission strongly preferred*
- MBA, J.D., Ph.D., or other graduate degree strongly
At Biogen, our mission is clear: we are pioneers in
neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide
innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological
and neurodegenerative diseases. One of the world's first global
biotechnology companies, Biogen was founded in 1978 and today has
the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis, has
introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal
muscular atrophy, and is focused on advancing neuroscience research
programs in Alzheimer's disease and dementia, MS and
neuroimmunology, movement disorders, neuromuscular disorders, acute
neurology, neurocognitive disorders, pain, and ophthalmology.
Biogen also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced
Keywords: Biogen Idec, Cambridge , Director, Business Development - Biosimilars, Other , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!