Director, Business Performance Management - Global Clinical Operations
Company: Biogen Idec
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Company DescriptionJob Description
As Director, Business Performance Management (BPM) within Global
Clinical Operation's (GCO) POC (Performance Operational
Capabilities) group, this is a key strategic and leadership role.
The Director will be working in support of identifying, developing,
and measuring performance & improvements to working practices
across Global Clinical Operation (GCO), potentially touching all
employees of the organization including, our external stakeholders
(investigator sites, patients and partners).
The BPM group focuses on identifying, reporting, and effectively
displaying key performance indicators (KPIs), metrics & insights (~
business analytics), oversight of GCO's clinical systems &
technology needs, resource and demand management, provides
expertise on continuous improvement (CI) methodologies, and
provides project management support for initiatives as needed.
The Director, Business Performance Management is accountable and
responsible to lead and oversee all of the remits within BPM.
What You'll Do
- Lead and provide direction to the business analytics
- Build the capabilities and ensure execution per plan for
identifying, reporting, and effectively displaying key performance
indicators (KPIs), metrics, & insights
- Identify internal and external performance measures.
- Keep up to date with industry insights and intelligence to
support identification of leading and lagging indicators
- Identify and manage a robust and fit for purpose reporting
- Identify operational data quality issues and a strategy and
plan to maintain operational data quality at high standards
- Share performance measures to inform continuous improvement
Identify & execute on opportunities with external vendors (CROs,
data providers, technology vendors) that would support business
analytics goals and lead and oversee such efforts
- Oversee key clinical information systems and technology
capabilities and needs:
- Provide expert advice and direction to the clinical information
- Identify opportunities for innovation
- Ensure proper day to day functioning of GCO's key clinical
information systems (e.g Clinical Trial Management Systems (CTMS),
Interactive Response Technologies (IRT), Operational Data
Repository (ODR), etc.) and address issues in an expeditious manner
to avoid business continuity disruption
- Liaise with other business system owners (e.g Clarity) to
ensure GCO needs are met as well as to ensure GCO's system strategy
is in alignment with other functions (Clinical Sciences,
- Champion and advocate for GCO's IT needs with personnel and
leadership from the Information Technology (IT) dept (e.g IT
Functional Lead). Liaise with IT on GCO's IT projects to ensure
challenges and opportunities are addressed
Coordinate and be the lead representative for GCO's IT
Technology Annual Operating Plan (AOP)
- Resource and demand management processes and reporting:
- Lead GCO's resource & demand management processes & practices
to allow for effective reporting on employee and contractor staff
resource assignments and demand needs. Identify opportunities for
improvement in our resource and demand management practices and
process to help better support data driven justifications for
resources to meet business needs
- Be the lead point of contact for other stakeholders in R&D
(and beyond) to align processes and data as it relates to resource
and demand management
- Provide expert advice, guidance, and training (as appropriate)
to GCO on systems and processes used in resource and demand
- Lead, support process improvement and project management needs
(for non-clinical program/study initiatives).
- Provide expert guidance and/or facilitation for process
improvement methodology on initiatives to meet GCO goals/vision.
Build and ensure fit for purpose framework for lessons learned and
After Action Review (AARs) that aligns with R&D strategy as
- Build and ensure capability (e.g. via employees, contractors,
and/or consultants) to support GCO's project management needs for
non-clinical program/study initiatives
Track and manage the goals and portfolio of process improvement
initiatives to allow for accurate and period reporting of
- Participate in BPM and POC LT meetings and extended GCO Senior
Leadership Team (XLT) meetings
- Provide group leadership, management, and guidance to direct
reports. Oversee contractor staff and ensure services/deliverables
and SLAs are met.
- For employee staff is responsible for conducting performance
management, career development, and compensation planning within
the remit / department.
- Overall team build out, attracting and retaining talent,
recruiting internal staff and external contractors to support team
- Bachelor's Degree required
- 10 - 15 years of experience in the pharmaceutical, biotech
and/or management consulting industry
- Proven leadership ability and team building skills are
- Robust expertise in project management & portfolio management
with strong facilitation skills
- Master's degree highly preferred.
- Six Sigma Black or Green Belt certification and knowledge of
lean and other continuous improvement methodologies
Given scope and business needs, the role may require heightened
focus/specialization in one or more of the other areas within
Business Performance Management at any given time.
As a member of the POC leadership team, and as an extended
member of GCO Senior Leadership Team (GCO XLT), the Director
provides consultative and strategic advice into the overall remit
of GCO, POC's and BPM's vision and mission in support of clinical
program and study execution.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO
Keywords: Biogen Idec, Cambridge , Director, Business Performance Management - Global Clinical Operations, Other , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!