Company: Draper Laboratory
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Draper is an independent, nonprofit research and development
company headquartered in Cambridge, MA. The 1,800 employees of
Draper tackle important national challenges with a promise of
delivering successful and usable solutions. From military defense
and space exploration to biomedical engineering, lives often depend
on the solutions we provide. Our multidisciplinary teams of
engineers and scientists work in a collaborative environment that
inspires the cross-fertilization of ideas necessary for true
innovation. For more information about Draper, visit
Our work is very important to us, but so is our life outside of
work. Draper supports many programs to improve work-life balance
including workplace flexibility, employee clubs ranging from
photography to yoga, health and finance workshops, off site social
events and discounts to local museums and cultural activities. If
this specific job opportunity and the chance to work at a
nationally renowned R&D innovation company appeals to you,
apply now www.draper.com/careers.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Draper is committed to creating a diverse environment and is
proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
We understand the value of diversity and its impact on a
high-performance culture. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic
Draper is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and
reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in
employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request
reasonable accommodation, please contact email@example.com.
This position serves as an integral member of the Contracts,
Subcontracts, Procurement & Property (CSPP) department. CSPP
strives to provide both its internal and external customers with
solution-oriented leadership and guidance and is focused on
achieving the strategic objectives of the organization while
balancing risk and regulatory compliance. The ideal candidate has
an interest in contributing to the success of the entire CSPP
department in a fast-paced multifaceted environment.
Responsibilities will include interfacing with potential and
current suppliers, writing and releasing RFP/RFQ, reviewing
proposed terms & conditions and negotiating agreements. Applicant
should have a keen interest in business/contract law, excellent
communication skills, and the ability to develop recommendations to
senior staff to support solutions to moderate to complex
- Follows established procedures, practices, policies and
Federal/State regulation to execute activities associated with
purchasing goods, materials, supplies, and services to ensure terms
are in the organization's best interest.
- Collaborate with program teams and senior leadership to prepare
and execute complex purchases, to include but not limited to,
obtaining and reviewing proposals/quotations, providing sufficient
and compliant justification, and risk management strategy.
- Independently facilitating complex competitive procurement
processes for goods and services in support of sponsored and
- Lead negotiations involving Terms of Purchase, Federal
Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and Defense Federal Acquisition
Regulation Supplement (DFARS) clauses and agreements of moderate
- Manages heavy a workload to procure a variety of commodities
- Conducts market research and develops requests for quotations
- Develops new supply sources where vendors are inadequate.
- Assist company program/functional offices in the preparation
and successful execution of an RFP/RFQ in a timely manner.
- Examines bids including performing price and/or cost analysis
and ensures conformity with the RFP/RFQ requirements, Federal/State
regulation and addresses any deviations.
- Reviews terms and conditions, identify areas that deviate from
company policy and document assessment of risk and potential
mitigation strategies to be reviewed with CSPP management
- Prepares pre-negotiation recommendations on price and terms and
- Negotiates purchase including price/cost and coordinates
negotiation of terms and conditions and makes awards.
- Develop strong documentation to satisfy departmental
requirements and internal and external audits including writing
clear, concise, and adequate procurement summaries, documenting
source selection, negotiations and price/cost analysis.
- Prepares and maintains purchasing file for electronic
attachment to PO in an ERP system.
- Ensure that vendors comply with schedule and financial
requirements of purchase orders, notifies vendor if not
- Interacts with other Draper Departments (i.e., Technical,
Legal, Accounting, Property, Contracts, Receiving, etc.), when
- Provides procurement counsel and advice to requisitioners.
- Responsible for the timely dissemination of pertinent
information to interested and cognizant Draper personnel.
- Makes recommendations to Supervisor for streamlining the
procurement process within Draper.
- Participates in special assignments from Supervisor, including
- Arranges and coordinates vendor visits and in-house
- Research issues of moderate complexity and provide
recommendations for resolution.
- Assist with special projects that require significant skill,
knowledge, and business acumen.
- Special assignments and cross-training (Contracts,
Subcontracts, Procurement, Property) is encouraged.
- Bachelor's degree with 3-5 years of relevant experience;
- MA/MBA/JD preferred.
- Experience in the application of modern principles and
practices of large-scale procurement and supply-chain
- Working knowledge of the FAR and various other Government
regulations (e.g., DFARS, ITAR, etc.) related to procurement and
- Strong negotiating experience is required.
- Able to handle multiple assignments and deadlines in a
- Able to quickly understand processes and ensure adherence to
- Must be able to deploy a systematic approach to work, and must
have an aptitude for performing work functions in a timely and well
organized manner with limited oversight.
- Must possess excellent problem solving and communication skills
that can be deployed to collaborate effectively with different
functional teams on a variety of topics.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- US Citizen with ability to obtain a government clearance.
- Assist with special projects, as required.
- Experience with an ERP system, PeopleSoft preferred.
Keywords: Draper Laboratory, Cambridge , Senior Buyer, Other , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!