Senior Research Associate II
Company: Exact Sciences
Posted on: June 4, 2021
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Senior Research Associate II, with limited guidance from
more experienced scientists, works individually or in collaboration
with others on multiple projects which are moderate to complex in
scope. The Senior Research Associate II plays an active role in
planning of projects and experiments and is often the technical
lead responsible for the successful execution of the project(s).
This role is responsible for conducting benchwork experimentation,
and the analysis and presentation of data. Working in a team
setting, the Senior Research Associate II, will primarily be
involved in Research and Development projects actively
participating in translating research ideas and concepts into the
product development pipeline towards development of diagnostic
The successful candidate will contribute to the early
development of NGS-based methods to improve clinical diagnostic
testing for patients with cancer. Responsibilities of this position
include evaluating and optimizing new sample preparation workflows
based upon iterative benchwork experimentation and data analysis
using clinical samples in close collaboration with wet and dry
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct bench level experiments within several product or
technology areas and identifies problems and discrepancies.
- Independently plan and analyze results of bench level
experiments within several product or technology areas; effectively
present at data meetings, group meetings, and project team
- Operate scientific instrumentation related to performance of
duties and notify appropriate personnel of any problems.
- Effectively utilize and apply methods or technologies and
provides ideas for new techniques, when appropriate.
- Maintain knowledge of technological industry developments that
could assist in completion of an assignment or aid in the
development of new processes or procedures.
- Provide technical input and participate in decisions affecting
project planning and experimental design.
- Prepare and provide information and data for scientific
- Generate, document, and communicate development plans for
critical aspects of a project.
- Participate in the development of research plans and
experimental outlines to write experimental protocols and perform
- Prepare detailed technical procedures, protocols, and
- Evaluate impact of nonconforming data to product or
- Maintain lab notebook in a complete and consistent manner,
following all legal, ISO, and QSR requirements, as well as keeping
clear and complete.
- Prepare reports and documentation providing the analysis or
summarization of experimental results, outcomes and next steps to
supervisor, technical teams/groups, or project teams.
- Present experimental results defend scientific ideas and
findings at project or departmental meetings.
- Successful in technical proficiency, scientific creativity,
collaboration with others, and independent thought and ability to
defend scientific ideas.
- Work on problems of diverse scope in which analysis of data
requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Exercise judgment within generally defined practices and
policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining
- Work on individual assignments and with project team members as
appropriate to meet department and project objectives.
- Work within project timeframes that are established
collaboratively by team members.
- Act as technical leader for a project of moderate scope.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgement to interpret
results, analyze data, and present findings in a professional and
- Assist in planning and recommendation of activities that
account for prioritization of organizational and department
- Ability to train and mentor junior level research
- Ability to organize, present, and convey moderate problems or
- Ability to communicate clearly with supervisor and group
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to collaborate, work effectively, and contribute within
team, department, and cross-functional teams.
- Strong attention to detail skills.
- Ability to effectively work on several varied projects at one
time, with frequent changing priorities.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and decision-making
- Successful technical proficiency, scientific creativity,
collaboration with others, and independent thought.
- Apply sound technical knowledge and ability gained through
experience and/or learning.
- Apply previous experimental knowledge and outcomes to new and
valuable problem; ability to make predictions based on a deep
understanding of the fundamental nature of the inputs into a
decision or action.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability,
innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company's Quality Management System
policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends.
- Ability to lift to 20 pounds for approximately 5% of a typical
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a
computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 50% of a
typical working day.
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and
forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective
- Ability to use various types of laboratory equipment including
microscopes, microtomes, blades, strainers, pipettes for extended
periods of time.
- May perform repetitious actions using lab tools.
- Ability to use near vision to view samples at close range.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and
instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing
elements, and high-speed centrifugation.
- Ability and means to travel between Exact Sciences
- Ability to travel 5% of working time away from work location,
may include overnight/weekend travel.
- Master's degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory
Science, Chemical/Physical/Biological Science or related field; or
Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences, Medical Technology, Clinical
Laboratory Science, Chemical/Physical/Biological Science, or
related field and 2 years of experience in lieu of a Master's
- 3+ years of relevant experience.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in molecular biology and/or
- Basic understanding of GMP, ISO, and Quality Systems.
- Demonstrated ability to apply statistical and mathematical
methods in biology/genetics/genomics; including statistical
software, such as JMP.
- Authorization to work in the United States without
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the
position with or without accommodation.
- 5+ years of industry experience.
- Experience in an LDT- or FDA-regulated environment including
conducting analytical validation studies, ideally in medical device
- Proficient in application of NGS, molecular biology and/or
biochemical techniques to clinical samples.
- Experience with high throughput liquid handler systems.
- Good understanding of NGS data and analysis tools.
- Previous experience working in a molecular diagnostics/clinical
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin,
protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
and any other status protected by applicable local, state or
federal law. Applicable portions of the Company's affirmative
action program are available to any applicant or employee for
inspection upon request.
Keywords: Exact Sciences, Cambridge , Senior Research Associate II, Other , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!