Molecular Technologist II (1st Shift) (Finance)
Company: Foundation Medicine, Inc.
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Molecular Technologist II (1st Shift)
About the Job
The Molecular Technologist II position is a key member of the
clinical diagnostic laboratory operations staff responsible for
performing all aspects of complex patient sample testing, solution
and reagent preparation, equipment maintenance and tasks that
pertain to the handling and testing of patient specimens. The
Molecular Technologist II is cross functionally trained to perform
multiple process steps and/or assays and may provide on the job
training to colleagues. This position requires working in the
regular presence of chemicals and regents. Molecular Technologists
are assigned to one of three shifts and may be assigned to work any
day that the lab is operational.
This is a regulated position and additional information may be
available from QA on the qualifications for this role pertaining to
Regular onsite work at a designated FMI location is an essential
function of this role.
- Perform patient sample testing in a manner that adheres to all
established standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Perform testing workflow that maintains quality, thoroughness,
and optimum efficiency result turnaround time.
- Extract and isolate nucleic acids.
- Prepare the Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) library.
- Execute hybridization and genetic sequencing methods.
- Process samples by operating automated 8-span and 96-head
liquid handling platforms.
- Operate quantification, sizing, and NGS instruments.
- Utilize the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to
track and execute sample processing.
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly and as needed equipment
- Document executed process steps per Good Documentation
Practices (GDP). Update and maintain records and data on test
results per GDP.
- Document and assist with investigations for non-compliance
events via NCRs, CAPAs, etc.
- Participate in additional continuous quality improvement
- Review standard operating procedures at set intervals and sign
to document knowledge of these procedures.
- Collaborate on standard operating procedures revisions/drafts
as needed to adjust for process improvement initiatives and
- Train others in laboratory processes.
- Participate in reagent and assay quality control and
- Update and maintain records and data on test results.
- Monitor and communicate inventory of supply and reagent needs
as they diminish.
- Other duties and projects pertinent to level of expertise as
- Bachelors of Science Degree in a chemical, physical, biological
or life sciences
- Certifications or licensure that is required by the state or
county in which the job is posted
- 2+ years of molecular work experience in a CAP/CLIA regulated
- Molecular Biology American Society of Clinical Pathology
- Quality System Regulations (QSR) compliant laboratory
- Familiarity and/or experience working with DNA manipulation
techniques, enzymatic reactions, and sequencing chemistry
- Familiarity with high throughput platforms and common molecular
laboratory equipment (such as pipettes, thermocyclers, and liquid
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management System
- Experience ensuring and maintaining integrity and quality of
the laboratory in the areas of sample processing, equipment
maintenance and SOPs
- Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office Suite, most specifically
Excel and Power Point
- Knowledge of laboratory safety protocols
- Excellent skills of written communication, oral communication,
collaboration, and problem solving with other departments and
- Excellent organization and attention to detail
- Ability to:
- Work well under pressure while maintaining a professional
demeanor both as an individual contributor and in a team
- Prioritize and thoroughly follow up on assigned tasks
- Handle multiple tasks at once and work in a fast-paced
- Adapt to changing procedures, policies, and work
- Work in the presence of chemicals and reagents in a laboratory
- Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient
- Commitment to FMI's Values: Patients, Passion, Collaboration,
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea - to simplify
the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge
science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach
generates insights that help doctors match patients to more
treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new
therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented
people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work
we do every day impacts real lives.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and
Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or
national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be
discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected
veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of
criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also
FMI's EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement . If you have
a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please
let us know by completing this form . (EOE/AAP Employer)
Keywords: Foundation Medicine, Inc., Cambridge , Molecular Technologist II (1st Shift) (Finance), Other , cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!