Staff Software Engineer, Core Product
Posted on: May 11, 2022
Wistia is looking for a Staff Engineer to join our team! This
role is a great leadership opportunity within our Core Product
group to guide the development of major initiatives. Along with
driving product development, Staff Engineers at Wistia create a
multiplying effect within their team through mentorship, coaching,
and shaping our overall technology strategy.
You'll work primarily in our modern tech stack with React, ES6,
GraphQL, and Ruby while building on our collection of platform
Here are some examples of what you might focus on:
- Creating a world-class media library experience with seamless
uploading and organization tools.
- Building lighting-fast and accurate search capabilities.
- Expanding our UI component library based on React and
- Providing customers with innovative tools to launch their
content to millions of viewers and analyze performance.
- Directly impacting the growth of a major SaaS product that tens
of thousands of businesses depend on every day.
We're a diverse and inclusive team composed of engineers, product
managers, and designers. We're technology-minded, but
customer-focused, always aiming to deliver the highest-impact
features that prioritize the long-term success of the product.
- Collaborate cross-functionally (primarily with research,
design, and product) to understand the needs of the customer and
deliver a simple and easy-to-use solution.
- Act as the technical lead for complex projects that span
multiple teams, systems, and functions.
- Coordinate and provide guidance to a group of engineers. Direct
all aspects of delivery, from early planning through release
- Help shape our long-term technology strategy and foster an
inclusive culture for making architectural decisions.
- Play an active role in growing the team and developing
- Work comfortably across front-end and back-end development. We
mainly use Ruby and React, but we are not wedded to them, nor do we
expect engineers coming in to know our particular frameworks.
- You have experience operating in a leadership capacity and
taking ownership of large engineering projects. You've shipped
major product initiatives that provided significant value to
- You're an expert in the domain of building production web
applications with high standards for performance, scalability, and
- You are a collaborator. Whether through pair programming, a
whiteboard session, or a casual lunch conversation, collaboration
helps the best ideas and practices to proliferate.
- You have strong communication skills. Each of us has only part
of the overall picture in our head at a given time. Explaining
ideas at an understandable level of abstraction is critical to
achieving a shared vision.
- You're empathetic and emotionally intelligent. Sometimes things
don't go smoothly. A customer gets frustrated, or a coworker does
something that bothers you. Understanding where others are coming
from, and being in control of and deliberate about how you respond
to them, empowers you to solve problems while also being supportive
of and sensitive to those around you.
- You write clean and understandable code. We write code for each
other and for our future selves. Code that is clear and tested sets
us up for speed, reliability, and a more enjoyable development
- You know your fundamentals. Fads and frameworks come and go.
We're less worried that you know the Next Hot Thing--- than that
you feel comfortable with the underlying data structures,
algorithms, languages, and protocols that make web applications
- You are comfortable thinking about trade-offs. Some decisions
will always have a downside. Do we want our distributed database to
be more consistent, or more available? Should we use a hosted
product that will save us time now, but force us to move to a new
system in a year? These are regular conversations!
- You value simplicity. Blaise Pascal once wrote, "I'm sorry I
wrote you such a long letter; I didn't have time to write a short
one." Making things simple and elegant is deceptively difficult,
but it's worth the effort because the result is easier to
understand and work with. About Wistia
We try to ensure Wistia is an inclusive and diverse place where
everyone feels happy, fulfilled, respected, comfortable, and
welcome. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We care
a lot, so our benefits are actually benefits, not just the fun
stuff like swag and snacks in the office (though we also have lots
of those too!).
We know the biggest investment we can make is in our employees, so
- A great compensation package
- 401k with 3% company contribution, regardless of whether you
- Profit sharing!
- Flexible hours
- Fully paid healthcare coverage for you and your family
(including dental) and a healthcare FSA
- 16 weeks paid family leave
- Flexible vacation and sick leave
- Transportation subsidies Location/Remote Opportunities
Wistia is a hybrid in-person/remote company. Engineers can work
from our beautiful office in Cambridge, MA, or anywhere in the
Keywords: Wistia, Cambridge , Staff Software Engineer, Core Product, IT / Software / Systems , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!