Supervisor, Molecular Laboratory (M-F 1st Shift)
Company: Disability Solutions
Posted on: November 18, 2023
About the Job
The Supervisor of the Molecular Laboratory manages a team of direct
reports and embodies the company's values in all aspects of
managing laboratory personnel. The Supervisor of the Molecular
Laboratory is a decision maker for questions and is a highly
trusted team member for all laboratory personnel. This role spends
significant time collaborating cross-site and cross-functionally to
ensure efficient workflow. The incumbent in this position may be
assigned to work any day that the lab is operational and requires
working in a lab environment using chemicals and reagents. Titles
are internal to Foundation Medicine and may not align with Clinical
This is a regulated position and additional information may be
available from FMI Quality Assurance regarding regulatory
---Regular onsite work at a designated FMI location is an essential
function of this role.
- Manage laboratory process to ensure day-to-day operations are
in compliance with internal standard operating procedures and
regulatory standards of CLIA, FDA, and CAP.
- Manage laboratory personnel by preparing schedules for incoming
shift to ensure competent personnel are scheduled and prioritize
work in progress to meet turnaround time (TAT).
- Demonstrate commitment to maintaining TAT objectives, quality,
and continuous improvement.
- Perform lab walkthroughs to review maintenance logs, lab
cleanliness, waste management and ensure adherence to PPE
- Establish 1:1 with direct reports and provide coaching and
- Respond to general inquiries such as sample, plate or process
inquiries from Client services and other departments.
- Be on the on-call rotation for the molecular lab supervisors
hotline to troubleshoot any issue that come up on site.
- Maintain flexibility to cover scheduling gaps as needed and to
be included in the on-call rotation for additional weekend and/or
holiday technical support.
- Review Batch Records to ensure it is released to QA on
- Review Daily Management Board to ensure countermeasure are set
and reviewed for any issues that may have come up in the
- Support all operational aspects of quality assurance and
- Hire and onboard new Technologists.
- Contribute to the maintenance or development of technical and
analytical standards for method evaluation, development of quality
improvement initiatives, and evaluation of new instrumentation,
analytical methods and laboratory procedures.
- Act as decision maker on tactical issues operationally and
systemically on designated shift.
- Provide training, competency evaluation, protocol compliance
management and annual proficiency benchmarking of all laboratory
- Leverage a deep understanding of the process in troubleshooting
assays and instrumentation as needed.
- Investigate and problem solve laboratory and department
incidents, including driving the process forward and reviewing
and/or writing non-conformance reports, deviations, CAPAs, and
incident reports as needed in compliance with QMS system.
- Collaborate with internal teams, vendors, and others as needed
to resolve issues, maintain ongoing functionality and document
service, project management and repair work.
- Participate on cross-functional teams to coordinate
troubleshooting and process improvements, and/or implement new
workflows or products.
- Assist in preparing for, performing and responding to internal
and external audits as well as any other inspections.
- Represent the laboratory operations department at
cross-functional meetings or to guests as needed.
- Review and write standard operating procedures as
- Continue building a cohesive team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Titles are internal to Foundation Medicine and may not align
with Clinical Regulations.
- One of the three education or experience combinations:--
- (a) Bachelor's of Science Degree in a chemical, physical or
biological science and 7+ years of experience in a molecular
clinical laboratory (CLIA/CAP); OR,
- (b) Bachelor's of Science Degree in Medical Technology and 6+
years of experience in a molecular clinical laboratory (CLIA/CAP);
- (c) Masters' of Science Degree in Chemical, Physical or
Biological Science and 4+ years of experience in a molecular
clinical laboratory (CLIA/CAP), at least 2 of which have been spent
working under the direction of a doctoral level supervisor
- Certifications or licensure that is required by the state or
country in which the job is posted
- 2+ years of leadership experience
- Strong experience working in QSR compliant lab or other
regulated laboratory environment
- Knowledge and experience working with DNA manipulation
techniques, enzymatic reactions, and sequencing chemistry
- Experience with ensuring and maintaining integrity and quality
of a lab in compliance with QMS
- Experience with a Laboratory Information Management System
- Demonstrated history working as a leader within a team
- Knowledge of accreditation and regulatory standards
- Knowledge of laboratory safety protocols
- Familiarity with high through-put platforms and common
molecular laboratory equipment (pipettes, thermocyclers, liquid
- Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office Suite, specifically
Excel and Power Point
- Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skills in
written communication, oral communication, collaboration, and
problem solving with other departments and colleagues
- Excellent organization and attention to detail
- Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient
- Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration,
Keywords: Disability Solutions, Cambridge , Supervisor, Molecular Laboratory (M-F 1st Shift), Hospitality & Tourism , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!