Global Head, Neuroscience Translational Medicine
Company: Novartis Group Companies
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Global Head, Neuroscience Translational Medicine
2 Billion plus people are affected by diseases of the nervous system having a dramatic impact on patients and families around the world. Neurologic and psychiatric diseases remain as some of the largest challenges in medicine. Novartis is committed to changing the landscape by developing transformative treatments for important neuroscience disorders.
The Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is the innovation engine of Novartis. We collaborate across scientific and organization boundaries, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs from patients. Within NIBR, Translational Medicine (TM) is the clinical research arm and includes over 900 associates globally. TM plays a pivotal role in bringing innovative medicines to patients, by building on research advances to develop new therapies, and bridging drug discovery and clinical application.
Within TM, TM Discovery & Profiling (TMDP) is a group of about 65 physicians and clinical researchers who drive that innovative science from discovery to the patient through the selection, profiling, and effective development of medicines. Translational Medicine Experts (TME's) oversee Phase 1 and 2 clinical trials to demonstrate proof of concept in patients, creating the case for drugs to proceed to late-stage development and registration. TME's are also responsible for Phase 3 clinical pharmacology and mechanistic studies. Overall, TM and NIBR deliver about half of the final drug dossier or label information.
As the Global Head TM Neuroscience, you will lead a team of TME's responsible for all early clinical development plans and studies through Proof of Concept, new disease indications, translational research and profiling activities, and clinical pharmacology studies for the Neuroscience Therapeutic Area. You will be a member of the global Translational Medicine Leadership Team, accountable for overall department goals, helping to lead continuous improvement across the department, and enhancing the culture of TM. You will also be a key bridge between NS Research and late phase development and commercial colleagues across the Neuroscience Franchise in Novartis.
Your major accountabilities will be to:
* Set, communicate and drive strategy for the NS Translational Medicine Therapeutic Area in alignment with the broader organization
* Be accountable for setting the biomarker strategy for your group
* Prioritize and allocate resources across the team to meet portfolio needs
* Co-chair the Disease Area Decision Board with the Research Disease Area Head to decide on targets, compounds, and indications to progress from preclinical ideas to clinical testing
* Deliver clear human Proof-of-Concept study outcomes for decisions on new compounds
* Collaborate with Development colleagues to agree on Proof-of-Concept criteria and indications and on Development Decision Point criteria
* Support Translational Medicine Experts on Development teams after Proof-of-Concept to deliver clinical pharmacology and mechanistic studies
* Bring relevant internal and external opinion leaders together to consider the proposed approach to Clinical Proof-of-Concept
* Ensure seamless collaboration across Research, Translational Medicine, Development, and other relevant line functions in the development of drug candidates. Work closely and effectively with other TA TM Heads to foster collaborations and lead to cross-DA indication expansion PoC opportunities
* Foster strong external clinical collaborations to maintain state of the art clinical approaches
* Contribute senior level expertise to Strategic Alliances, Business Development and Licensing due diligence reviews for inlicensing and outlicensing opportunities
* Provide or review Translational Medicine input to meetings and interactions with Health Authorities
* Develop talent pipeline through recruitment activities and being a mentor, coach, and educational resource across Novartis responsible for quality of clinical protocols, study reports and submission documents
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $298,400 and $447,600/year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/22 through 12/31/22, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an "at-will position" and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
The position can be based in Cambridge, MA USA or Basel, Switzerland. This position will require 25% travel as defined by the business (domestic and/or international).
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will bring to this role:
Education: * MD or MD/PhD, or MD with doctoral thesis in relevant field (Neurology or Neuroscience)
*Board certification in Neurology or related field. Subspecialty clinical training in Neurodegenerative disorders (preferred) or related subspecialty with appropriate Board Certification(s)
Languages: * Fluent English, strong written and oral communication skills
Experience: * Leadership position in pharmaceutical/biotech industry or academic medical center combining scientific and medical subspecialty skills, maintaining state-of-the-art clinical approaches and inspiring a culture of continuous improvement, innovation and quality
* Significant clinical experience with patients with Neurological diseases
* Direct basic science expertise within Neurological diseases: accomplished independent basic investigator, recognized in your field through peer-reviewed grant funding, publications and congresses
* Strategic thinker, used to creating major innovations, networking with leading investigators, presenting complex strategic issues in a clear and logical way and driving impactful outcomes
* Natural ability to manage people, and lead leaders of others; able to provide mentoring at the highest levels including those outside of your own scientific/clinical expertise
* Used to successfully supporting and impacting experts, scientists and project deliveries across many functions of Research or Development / equivalent
* Strong program manager: excellent planning, prioritization, problem solving and organizational skills
* A creative and innovative approach with a sharp and objective intellect
* Strong cooperative team player, used to being flexible and adapting to a changing environment
* Resilient, energetic and enthusiastic; responding constructively to challenging new ideas and inputs
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network.
Research & Development
Keywords: Novartis Group Companies, Cambridge , Global Head, Neuroscience Translational Medicine, Healthcare , Cambridge, Massachusetts
here to apply!