Social Worker, MSW- Geriatrics
Company: Mount Auburn Hospital
Posted on: November 19, 2020
SOCIAL WORKER, MSW- GERIATRICS
MOUNT AUBURN HOSPITAL - CAMBRIDGE, MA
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides clinical consultations and thorough psychosocial
evaluations as an integral part of the team in Geriatric Services,
the Quimby Center. a. Initial assessment in the Memory Assessment
and Support Service will be completed with the geriatrician,
patient and family in determining a differential diagnosis of
potential memory impairment and the severity of such. The MD/MSW
team will complete this evaluation in 1-2 sessions and meet in
follow-up to provide the diagnosis and to recommend further testing
and ultimately provide a comprehensive care plan. b. Participates
in the development of enhanced and new geriatric programs +
services, such as the Memory Assessment and Support Service.
2. Documents evaluations and ongoing work in a timely and
comprehensive fashion in keeping with departmental standards and
Epic requirements. a. Documents the social work evaluation same day
as encounter whenever possible; no later than 24 hours after. b.
Verbally communicates findings with appropriate providers.
3. Provides ongoing supportive counseling or therapy to individuals
and families primarily identified through the Quimby Center or by
the Memory Assessment. a. Schedules appropriately in Epic; arrives
patient and completes/signs notes in Epic for appropriate charge
capture. b. May run support or psychoeducational groups for seniors
or their caregivers.
4. For maximum continuity of care, will follow geriatric services
patients when admitted to MAH and referred for Social Work
intervention. Will provide psychosocial information to the
inpatient team for optimal collaborative care.
5. Guides patients/families through hospital services, accessing
needed health and community services, as indicated. Provides
patients and families links to a variety of community services.
6. Attends regular geriatrics team meetings to assure a coordinated
plan of care following assessment and intervention.
7. May participate in the training of geriatric fellows and other
disciplines in providing psychosocial care to geriatric patients
and their families. May train MSW interns.
8. Participates in community outreach, providing sessions on
caregiver stress, coping strategies for managing loved ones with
dementia and other topics of interest to this population. May
provide Social Work support for other practices, as
9. Cross trains with other social work staff to enable adequate
coverage, especially for inpatient medical surgical cases.
10. Participates in appropriate hospital and community-based
committees and task forces, particularly those focused on delivery
care/services to older adults.
11. Conducts psycho-educational in services in area(s) of
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Master's degree in social work from an accredited school of
2. Minimum 3 years of experience in health care, with special
interest and experience within geriatrics.
3. L.I.C.S.W licensure or eligible within 6 months of hire
4. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Demonstrated
ability to work collaboratively in interdisciplinary teams.
5. Ability to exercise sound clinical judgement in fast-paced and
1. Normal hospital and office environment(often shared
2. Occasional exposure to infectious disease.
3. Sitting approximately 65% of the time.
4. Walking required to different buildings.
5. Utilizing communication skills (listening and speaking) at least
85% of the time.
Mount Auburn Hospital is a tobacco-free campus. We are an equal
opportunity employer and we offer wonderful opportunities for
advancement, so you re sure to find a position that suits your
unique skills here.
We value equality and are committed to maintaining an environment
in which employees, patients, and visitors are treated without
regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex,
handicap, veteran s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or
Keywords: Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge , Social Worker, MSW- Geriatrics, Healthcare , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!