Director, Business Development, Transactions, Oncology, Hematology and Cell Therapy
Company: Bristol Myers Squibb
Posted on: September 21, 2022
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision
transforming patients lives through science. In oncology,
hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease and one of the
most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry each of our
passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive
meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we
pioneer. Join us and make a difference.Expected Areas of
CompetenceThe Business Development/Transactions candidate will
possess strong business acumen with experience in the life sciences
and biopharmaceutical industry. An understanding of the deal making
process in the industry is required as the candidate will
assist/lead transaction related activities for both licensing and
M&A, while supporting Search & Evaluation (S&E) activities.
The candidate is required to have strong personal skills and work
with multiple internal stakeholders to facilitate highly visible
and time-sensitive business development projects. Furthermore, the
candidate will provide transaction support/leadership in running
business and commercial analyses and negotiation and contracting of
licensing and other collaboration opportunities for preclinical,
clinical, and marketed compounds in support of BMS strategy and
- Demonstrate leadership and business acumen while collaborating
closely with internal S&E, Enterprise Strategy, R&D,
Finance, and Commercial stakeholders and potential external
- The candidate would be responsible for partnering with the
S&E function within BD to establish excellent working
relationships with cross-functional team members, in addition to
jointly working with potential external collaborators.
- Support formulation of therapeutic area strategy for their
focus area while driving the execution of external business
- Efficiently lead cross-functional team meetings and communicate
updates to leadership.
- Manage and coach direct report as applicable.
- Co-lead, with the senior S&E team and therapeutic area
leads, on the delivery of business assessments and recommendations
of external opportunities, including deal proposals, valuation,
deal status, and key issues of the transaction to BMS governance
bodies for endorsement.
- Responsible for coordinating team meetings, preparing agendas
and minutes for various BD related transaction teams as
- Participate in BD external partnering events/industry meetings
(JPM, BIO, BIO EU, BMS Partnering Days etc.) and technical /
scientific meetings, including preparing materials such as
presentations, FAQ and related documents.
- Lead and support Commercial/Financial Assessment:
- Lead project team interactions with functional
- Provide insights to the commercial and financial evaluation
process, assumptions and outputs
- Lead and manage the development and drafting of project team
deliverables and recommendations
- Ensure robustness of the overall Commercial/Financial
- Recommend/develop proposed deal structure and terms utilizing
an in depth knowledge of Industry deal making trends.
- Lead/co-lead negotiating, contracting, and executing agreements
with supervision as needed (e.g., CDAs, MTAs, term sheets, complex
collaborations, license agreements and other strategic
- Lead or assist in negotiating partnerships and communicate key
deal issues, risks, and updates to leadership and senior internal
stakeholders, including collaborating with Transaction Legal in
drafting and revising term sheet and contracts.
- Present to senior internal and external stakeholders.Experience
- MBA, JD, or other advanced business degree preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience within Pharma and Biotech and
minimum of 3-5 years of relevant Transactions experience
exemplified by the execution of business development transactions
(deal sheet required).
- Ability to analyze and understand sales forecasts, P&Ls,
risk analyses, and company valuations; strong understanding of
discounted cash flow, net present value, internal rates of return
and risk analysis techniques. Able to integrate scientific
knowledge into business model.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects efficiently with a
high degree of independence.
- Prior Pharma and Biotech experience (preferably in commercial
and business functions).Knowledge & Skills Desired
- Competent in Pharma product evaluations.
- Strong working knowledge of pharmaceutical industry issues,
trends, and their business impact.
- Subject matter expert in the licensing/business development
landscape. Good understanding of the drug development process.
- Strong analytical, communication, and leadership skills
- Able to communicate effectively with senior management
internally and externally.
- Competence in reviewing and editing contracts and providing
direction to Legal in term sheets and contracts
- Ability to influence analysis undertaken by other
- Demonstrated negotiation skills.
- Consistently delivers on commitments in a timely manner.
- Works well with and exerts influence on multi-disciplinary
teams. Facilitates candid dialogue and cross-functional
collaboration.Around the world, we are passionate about making an
impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to
apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an
inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation,
urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the
highest potential of each of our colleagues.Bristol Myers Squibb
recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work
environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits,
services and programs that provide our employees with the resources
to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal
lives.Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in
the field is an essential job function of this role which the
Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity,
employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company
culture.To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients
and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees
and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated
against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on
an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable
accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located
in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already
received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by
their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of
employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law
restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in
certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also
subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives
in the U.S.Our company is committed to ensuring that people with
disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process,
reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their
roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to
accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in
completing this application or if you are applying to a role based
in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to
receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely
held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment
process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete
Equal Employment Opportunity statement.Any data processed in
connection with role applications will be treated in accordance
with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.Company:
Bristol Myers SquibbReq Number: R1555399Updated: 2022-09-15
02:23:26.108 UTCLocation: Cambridge,MassachusettsBristol Myers
Squibb is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, pregnancy,
citizenship, marital status, gender expression, genetic
information, political affiliation, or any other characteristic
protected by law.
Keywords: Bristol Myers Squibb, Cambridge , Director, Business Development, Transactions, Oncology, Hematology and Cell Therapy, Executive , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!