Human Resources Director
Company: Sonesta International Hotels
Posted on: August 6, 2022
The focus of this job is connecting with Hotel leadership and
employees, and motivating and inspiring them to achieve results.
The work involves driving toward results by enrolling the
commitment and buy-in of others. While the job requires strong
initiative and self-direction, results are only achieved with and
through people, so the ability to successfully influence and
persuade others by understanding how their individual needs and
motivations link to goals is essential.The role has a variety of
tasks and is dynamic and changing. Since goals and desired results
can quickly change, the job requires regularly meeting with and
pro-actively establishing relationships with new groups and people.
The ability to understand, quickly react, and motivate others to
adapt to the changing organization is a critical key to success. In
general, the core of this position requires a motivated and
motivating team builder and organization developer.Decisions will
many times have to be made in ambiguous situations under pressure
and will generally need the ideas and advice of others. Details
will need to be handled quickly and accurately. Good judgment is
essential in the recruitment process as well as the employee
relations process.EnvironmentThe job environment is fast paced and
results oriented. While there is urgency for goal achievement,
responsibility for the achievement of results needs to be shared
and effectively delegated when necessary. At times you will be
faced with competing priorities and will need to adjust priorities
to ensure you are working on the most critical needs at that time.
Your General Manager and Corporate HR leader will be available to
assist you in re-prioritizing when this becomes difficult. There is
a corporate support team focused on training, employee relations
and benefits to provide assistance and guidance as needed.
Initiating projects and processes beyond established practices will
often require training and developing others and enlisting their
support by using a "selling" rather "telling" communication style.
Principle duties and responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Effective recruiting and hiring for all roles within the hotel
utilizing progressive and innovative recruiting techniques while
being mindful of time, cost and quality.
- Lead the hotel in Employee Engagement strategies and activities
to ensure the hotel is continually assessing and improving its
management and leadership practices to ensure a highly engaged
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues. Conducts
effective, thorough and objective investigations. Makes
recommendations to Corporate Human Resources regarding follow-up
- Analyzes wage and salary reports and data to determine a
competitive compensation plan and individual compensation
- Oversee the maintenance and communication of employment records
as required by law or policy. Ensure compliance with federal,
state, and local legal requirements. Consult with Corporate Human
Resources, and when appropriate with legal counsel, to ensure
consistent application of law and corporate policy. You will work
with the HR Shared Service team to ensure that together, files are
accurate and compliant.
- Ensure that all managers and supervisors are trained on the
progressive discipline process, performance management process,
Union Awareness, and related management programs and initiatives.
Coach Managers to create and maintain a work environment with high
morale and productivity. Conduct new employee orientation to
familiarize employees with Company values, standards, policies,
procedures, rules and other employee programs.
- Work with HR Shared Services on administrative duties to
include worker s compensation, unemployment claims, maintenance of
employee records and HRIS system, etc.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily
communication and coordination with other departments. Key
departmental contacts include all hotel staff, Corporate Human
Resources and Corporate legal.
- Coordinate and administer locally developed special recognition
- In a Union environment, manage labor relations and represent
the hotel in grievances, mediations, arbitrations and contract
negotiation. Ensure all departments are knowledgeable of and in
compliance with the terms of all collective bargaining agreements
- Strategy and Planning:
- Plan and coordinate HR programs within the hotels you are
- Guide management and employee actions by researching,
developing and updating policies, procedures, methods, and
guidelines in connection with Corporate Human Resources; and
communicating and enforcing organization values and policies to
ensure effective management within the Hotel.
- Participate in the development, rollout, communication of the
Hotel s plans and programs as a strategic partner by providing
guidance to management on all aspect of employment including talent
acquisition, staffing, employment processing, compensation, health
and welfare benefits, training and development, records management,
safety and health, succession planning, employee relations and
retention, AA/EEO compliance, and labor relations.
- Financial Management:
- Develop human resources annual budget and other financial
measures of the Human Resources Department.
- Ensure that the Hotel is appropriately manage expenses and
reducing risk as it relates to employees.
- This is the top Human Resources job in a large full-service
hotel with extensive facilities, employees and services.
- Perform other duties as assigned and may serve as "manager on
duty"" as required.
- Leading with Passion
- Responsible for ensuring success through the eyes of employees,
guests, and owners.
- Utilize and collaborate with resources across different
departments and corporate office.
- Capable of influencing employees to perform to their highest
standard and establishing a trusting environment to enrich the
- Focus on the mission and well-being of the department, hotel,
and company as a whole.
- Lead by example and operate with integrity and respect.
- Inspire your team to embrace and demonstrate our mission,
values and GUEST People Standards.
- Interact with outside contacts:
- Candidates and applicants - discuss employment opportunities
and conduct interviews
- Guests- to ensure total satisfaction
- HR Shared Service team to support your hotel
- Vendors- to ensure adequate inventory of supplies and
equipment, to discuss pricing or service issues, to resolve any
vendor performance issues, etc.
- Regulatory Agencies- regarding safety and compliance
- Union representatives (if applicable)
- Other contacts as needed (professional organizations, community
groups, local media)Qualifications and Skills A candidate for this
position must possess the following applicable knowledge, skills
and abilities and be able to demonstrate and provide applicable
examples to support his/her competency.
- Bachelor's degree preferred. A minimum of three to five years
experience in a high-volume hospitality environment. Leadership
level experience, preferred.
- Background in hospitality industry (and union experience) is
- Track record of delivering exceptional employee
- Excellent judgment with strong problem-solving
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, i.e., poised
and engaging, empathetic communication styles that can enliven,
engage, and positively impact individuals and groups.
- Ability to partner with all levels of managers, providing a
consultative approach and employee relations.
- Ability to act quickly and efficiently with high degree of
- Customer service orientation.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Demonstrable expertise in analysis and action taking.
- Excellent organization and prioritizing skills.
- Appropriate professional appearance and demeanor.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and HRIS
systems.Sonesta recognizes that benefits play a vital role in
helping ensure the health and financial security of employees and
their families. We offer a variety of benefits to our employees
including: Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Health Savings
Account with Company Match, 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company
Match, Paid Vacation and Sick Days, Sonesta Hotel Discounts,
Educational Assistance, Paid Parental Leave, Company Paid Life
Insurance, Company Paid Short Term and Long Term Disability
Insurance and Various Employee Perks and Discounts.We are an equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, national
origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, disability, or protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules,
Keywords: Sonesta International Hotels, Cambridge , Human Resources Director, Executive , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!