Senior Director, Business Development
Company: BlueRock Therapeutics
Posted on: January 11, 2021
The Senior Director, Business Development is responsible for
driving all aspects of BlueRock's external business development
activities, from innovation sourcing to the negotiation & execution
of transactions (covering both in-licensing and
out-licensing/partnerships) to meet our corporate objectives. This
individual serves as the prime point of contact for the
organization externally in this arena regarding technologies,
research projects, or preclinical development assets. The incumbent
will be the focal point for pursuing strategic growth initiatives
by steering both strategic and day-to-day business development
activities for BlueRock Therapeutics. Responsibilities will include
the entire licensing process, i.e. identification, evaluation,
negotiation and implementation of new business opportunities of
significant value and working with related functions to provide a
comprehensive analysis of available partnering options to select
the best possible partner and model for a relationship in our
therapeutic areas. In addition, the candidate will conduct the
evaluation of opportunities across broad or multiple therapeutic
areas that are outside the current existing focus. She/He will
drive decision-making regarding specific BD opportunities with
internal stakeholders and external partners and will present
projects for decision by senior leadership at BlueRock. This is a
position with exposure to multiple programs & technologies within
the organization and an opportunity for both strategic and
day-to-day, hands-on direction of BlueRock's business development
activities. The Senior Director, BD will manage complex
negotiations and have the responsibility for optimizing
relationships and resolving issues and aligning stakeholders to
ensure business development goals are met. Key responsibilities
- Build & maintain business development funnel of opportunities
thorough a solid understanding of the global cell and/or gene
- Establish and facilitate collaborative relationships
- Coordinate interfaces with sub-teams i.e. senior management,
academic community, other biotech companies, & pharma within USA,
Canada, Europe, and Rest of World, as well as Venture Capitalists
and various industry consultants and subject-matter experts.
- Act as the prime point of contact for BlueRock
- Establish and build relationships with Academic and Industry
organizations for the purpose of driving licensing
- Create new portfolio opportunities (in-licensing,
out-licensing, co-development) that meet with Bluerock's strategic
objectives and make the case for a collaboration with BlueRock as
the preferred partner.
- Drive the execution and analyze potential issues of any
Contractual Agreement on a global basis.
- Prepare and coordinate multifunctional assessment of external
opportunities (i.e. patents, technological strength, development
costs and timelines, competitiveness, economic potential,
development and marketing risks ---) and negotiate contract in
close alignment with legal department.
- Collaborate and drive the decision-making regarding specific
business opportunities with internal R&D departments,
Contracts/Legal, Intellectual Property, Finance, & Manufacturing,
along with external partners, towards the maximization of the value
of BlueRock's partnerships and alliances
- Present the deal to the senior management team and/or Board, as
- Summarize duties and responsibilities for the implementation of
a partnership via alliance management.
- Serve as an ongoing internal champion of these partnerships as
needed and support that all stakeholders at the various sites of
BlueRock are kept informed and fulfill their obligations towards
the success of the partnerships.
- Other duties as assigned. Requirements
- Advanced (e.g. PhD and/or MD) degree in life sciences or
related field required. Experience with cell and/or gene therapy a
plus. 7-10+ years broad pharmaceutical or biotechnology
industry/academic experience, with sound knowledge of the drug
discovery & development process, industry trends and competitive
practices. An equivalent combination of education and experience
can supersede requirements.
- Senior level experience deal structure development,
negotiations, and completing transactions, as well as evaluating
pharmaceutical licensing opportunities. Effective understanding of
the pharmaceutical industry licensing process. Experience in
licensing transactions for cell and/or gene therapy technologies or
early-stage products in the relevant disease areas for BlueRock
(Cardiology, Neurology, Immunology) is a plus.
- Proficient planning and organizational skills and an ability to
handle multiple priorities.
- Strong commitment to customer service and satisfaction.
- A reputation for having the highest personal integrity and
- Must have a dedication to follow through on promises and
commitments and a willingness to be held accountable for
- Direct experience in managing relationships and interfacing
with Biotech partners as an articulate communicator with strong
negotiation skills. Proven ability to build and maintain effective
internal and external partnerships.
- History of working in complex and multicultural team
environments with numerous / diverse stakeholders with strong
interpersonal skills and ability to build effective working
relationships throughout all levels of the organization.
- Ability to set clear priorities and give respective guidance to
the team. Strengths in creating clear organizational and procedural
structures within the group.
- Must be highly driven with a strong motivation to succeed,
detail oriented, and a great team player with convincing leadership
- Available to travel domestically and internationally. Highly
competitive compensation and benefits package. BlueRock
Therapeutics does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex,
color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability,
veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender
identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of
employment opportunities and benefits.
Keywords: BlueRock Therapeutics, Cambridge , Senior Director, Business Development, Executive , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!