Machine Design Engineer
Company: 24M Technologies
Posted on: August 1, 2022
The Machine Design Engineer will be a member of the Advanced
Manufacturing Team focused on developing the next generation high
volume manufacturing processes that will connect 24M's
revolutionary product to the high growth energy storage market. The
team member will prepare machine designs and drawings in support of
manufacturing process and equipment development. The successful
candidate will bring an understanding of and interest in
manufacturing equipment design fundamentals. Strong interpersonal
skills are required, as are a strong work ethic and an ability to
flourish in a dynamic startup environment. The Machine Design
Engineer reports to the Senior Principal Engineer.
- Complete machine and equipment designs.
- Detail component and assembly drawings.
- Work closely with equipment vendor design engineers and outside
partners to successfully complete proof of concepts or engineering
analysis as needed.
- Work with technicians to answer questions related to equipment
designs and implementation. Support installation of equipment on
Pilot line equipment.
Required Skills and Experience:
- At least 20+ years of experience in CAD design for
manufacturing processes, specifically, continuous motion assembly
- Expert with SolidWorks (prior experience designing stations for
assembly machinery, experience creating exploded assembly
drawings), including motion analysis and FEA. (Finite element
- GD&T ANSI, Y14.5 m
- Knowledge about various welding technologies, specifically,
laser welding and ultrasonic welding.
- Knowledge of various laminating technologies, including, heat
sealing, adhesive sealing, etc.
- Knowledge of web handling machinery and design principals for
- Knowledge of materials used for high volume machinery including
oil and air hardening tool steels and coatings required to increase
- Knowledge of cam design, plate cams, barrel cams and what type
of motion parameters are required.
- Understands the difference between cam motions including
Modified sinusoidal and modified trapezoidal motions etc.
- Understand the details of cam design including but not limited
to, pressure angles, radius of curvature.
- Experience designing cam mechanisms with translating and pivot
type cam followers.
- Selection of correct bearings for loading and life.
- Experience designing heat sealing machinery.
- Experience working with Controls engineers and understanding of
- Selection of correct sensors and instrumentation for
- Expert understanding of pneumatics.
- Kinematic and Dynamic analysis of high-precision
- Designing assembly machinery above 500 parts per minute
- Selection of proper machine components for life at high rate,
and within clean room environment.
- Understanding of machine shop practices and the ability to
design and dimension parts that meet the requirements of the
- Experience with design for DFM (Design for
- Detail oriented with regard to the accuracy of detail drawings
that ensure that parts fit together.
- Highly motivated and action-oriented as demonstrated by
- Coachable; able to act on management inputs and constructive
- Demonstrated ability and passion to understand processes and
the interaction between the material, equipment and the associated
impact to product performance.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment. Ability to commit to
aggressive timelines and to deliver on those commitments.
- Excellent communication skills for interaction with team
members, other groups and outside suppliers.
- Works well in a team environment with willingness to share
skills and information and mentor others.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering
Keywords: 24M Technologies, Cambridge , Machine Design Engineer, Engineering , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!