Deputy Editor, International Security
Company: Harvard University
Posted on: February 25, 2021
The Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs at the
Harvard Kennedy School seeks a Deputy Editor to manage the editing
and production of articles accepted for publication in
International Security, a leading quarterly journal of
international politics edited at the Belfer Center and published by
MIT Press. The Deputy Editor reports to the Executive Editor/Series
Editor and is responsible for co-managing the work of the journal's
Editorial Assistant. The Deputy Editor plays a pivotal role and
independently manages key areas of the journal's production. The
successful candidate will possess the professionalism and poise to
work with authors and make substantive comments and contributions
to their work, is a skilled and precise editor, and has a strong
interest in the field of international security. The Belfer Center
is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community of
staff, faculty, and students, and we seek candidates who share our
value and commitment.
-- Job-Specific Responsibilities
- Oversees and manages relationships with authors and the MIT
- Works closely with authors to prepare their manuscripts for
publication, including editing pieces for sense, size, style, and
clarity, and providing suggestions and thoughtful comments on the
substance of the piece.
- Manages all of the details and steps in the production process
in coordination with MIT Press and the journal's compositor.
Proofreads and sends galley proofs to authors, prepares and sends
corrected galleys to the compositor, checks revised proofs for
accuracy, and reviews printer's proofs and F&Gs.
- Responsible for the final review of every manuscript.
- Participates in editorial meetings with the journal's
editor-in-chief, executive editor, and editor.
- Assists authors in writing op-eds and other materials based on
- Participates in the development and implementation of
strategies to market the journal in coordination with MIT
- Collaborates with the Executive Editor in the promotion of
individual articles to relevant audiences as needed. Basic
Qualifications Bachelor's degree and minimum of three years of
editorial experience in a publishing environment. Additional
Qualifications and Skills
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Must have good judgment and strong interpersonal skills.
- High levels of discretion, diplomacy, and tact in dealing with
authors and MIT Press are essential.
- As a member of a small, highly productive editorial team, the
deputy editor must be well organized, detail oriented, and
comfortable working without daily supervision.
- The ability to operate in a schedule-driven environment is
- Strong knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style preferred.
- Familiarity with and interest in contemporary international
security policy is highly preferred. Additional Information We
regret that the Harvard Kennedy School does not provide Visa
Harvard University requires pre-employment references and
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy,
sustainable learning and working environment. Please note: During
the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position
may start as a remote position, with transition to onsite in
Cambridge, Massachusetts when the office reopens. We continue to
monitor the evolving COVID-19 and lifting of restrictions. We
appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview
process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected
candidates until further notice. Job Function Communications
Location USA - MA - Cambridge Job Code 405004 Comm Professional (N)
Sub-Unit ------------ Department Belfer Center for Science and
International Affairs We are an equal opportunity employer and all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity,
sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or
any other characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: Harvard University, Cambridge , Deputy Editor, International Security, Advertising , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!