Company: Harvard University
Posted on: May 13, 2022
Reporting to the Associate Director of Accounting, the Senior
Accountant will be a key contributor to the
HMS Office of Finance. They will provide support and advice to deal
with special projects and
analysis that relates to HMS operations, policy development and
documentation, process analysis,
management tools, and compliance. The Senior Accountant is part of
a team who collectively manage the
accounting operations of the school.
The role includes: Enhancing the control environment by
establishing and monitoring effective processes and systems;
Ensuring accurate and timely financial reporting and adherence to
GAAP and ensuring compliance with school and university policies
- Develop knowledge related to HMS accounting structure,
including both income statement and balance sheet accounts.
- Maintain a strong internal control environment by ensuring
compliance with university policy and procedures, including review,
analysis, revision, and documentation of policies and
- Prepare journal entries to record or adjust accounting
transactions in accordance with GAAP, HMS and university
- Develop a network of peers at other schools or in central
administration to share and leverage best practices.
- Promote a customer service environment, including providing
support to multiple constituents including faculty, staff, and
- Working with the Controller and Accounting Manager to interpret
requirements, design and implement an operational plan, and roll
out training for SAS 115 internal control initiatives.
- Oversee existing SAS 115 initiatives to ensure compliance with
internal and external audit requirements (e.g., Student Revenue
controls, Financial Close controls, Payroll controls, Endowment +
Gift Spending controls, Fixed Assets
- Accounting controls, Journal Entry review), as well as HMS
post-audit review procedures
- Assist with the month-end and quarterly closing processes,
including Central quarterly reconciliation and reporting
- Assist with the year-end closing process, including School-wide
communications and meetings; journal entry inventory, processing,
review, and approval; the departmental and School representation
letter process; Central reporting and audit requirements.
- Review and submission of monthly reconciliations of the Oracle
Fixed Assets system to General Ledger.
- Representing the School on University committees as
needed.Typical Core Duties
- Perform complex accounting transactions
- Reconcile complex accounts, identify variances, and verify the
accuracy of journal entries to the general ledger
- Provide technical advice and problem resolution for a
school/unit financial community on varied accounting issues
- Provide financial reports to management
- May prepare tax documentation and/or financial statements
- Ensure financial compliance with University policies and
procedures, audit and accounting disclosure requirements, and
applicable legal rules and regulationsBasic Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 5 years' relevant work experienceAdditional
Qualifications and Skills
- CPA or MBA preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, as well as
experience with integrated financial application platforms
- Excellent oral and written communication; strong
organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Attention to detail. Exceptional customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a
fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.Certificates and Licenses
- CPA PreferredWorking Conditions
- Work is performed in an office setting Additional Information
This Staff role may start as a remote position due to the COVID-19
pandemic and while restrictions are still in place. The current
remote nature of this role is considered temporary and may change
as the University continues to evaluate options. While we continue
to monitor the evolving COVID-19 guidelines, local on-campus work
may be expected for some roles. Harvard Medical School does support
flexible schedules, subject to individual departments' business
needs. All remote work must be performed within a state in which
Harvard is registered to do business (CA (exempt roles only), CT,
MA, MD, ME, NH, NY, RI, and VT).
Harvard requires COVID vaccination for all Harvard community
members. -Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine
requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information
regarding the University's COVID vaccination requirement,
exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at
the University's "COVID-19 Vaccine Information" webpage:
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of
interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12
paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical
plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting
after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance
program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard
Extension School, and discounted options through participating
Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as
well as additional options to assist employees in their daily
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little
or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition,
meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus
events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston. The Harvard
Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent community to keep in touch and
learn about future opportunities!
- Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging We are
committed to cultivating an -inclusive workplace culture of
faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles,
abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the
capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard
Medical School Mission and Community Values EEO StatementWe are an
equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected
veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and
pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected
Keywords: Harvard University, Cambridge , Senior Accountant, Accounting, Auditing , Cambridge, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!